Do you could have zucchini? Stuff zucchini with this straightforward, scrumptious, protein-rich lentil filling, bake them, after which high them with this vegan pistachio pesto. Hmm! This gluten-free vegan zucchini recipe is sort of a meal in a single: merely scoop out the middle of the zucchini to type boats, then prepare dinner this Italian lentil stuffing and put together the pistachio pesto and its sport. I like serving these Italian Zucchini Boats with Vegan Pesto with crusty complete wheat bread and olive oil on the aspect. Leftover zucchini jars are additionally simply pretty much as good the subsequent day.
Zucchini, like different greens reminiscent of bell peppers, winter squash, and tomatoes, make wonderful containers for stuffing. And what higher approach to stuff these zucchini than with this hearty, nutritious, flavorful filling and a creamy do-it-yourself pesto sauce? Filled with the Italian flavors of garlic, tomatoes, and basil, these zucchini boats are bursting with good taste and good well being. Search for medium-sized zucchini to create these zucchini boats, or use smaller zucchini, however plan to get an additional couple to make use of for the filling. When you’ve got summer time zucchini on the finish of the 12 months, that is the right zucchini recipe to benefit from these beauties. You may also swap the pistachios for an additional nut within the pesto, together with walnuts or almonds. Or make a nut-free pesto utilizing sunflower or pumpkin seeds as an alternative of pistachios.
These Italian Vegan Pesto Zucchini Boats are crammed with a tasty, hearty lentil filling, baked, after which unfold with creamy pistachio pesto. Serve it with complete wheat bread to make it a meal.
- Put together the Italian lentil filling by heating olive oil in a large pan both dutch oven over medium warmth. Add the onion, garlic and bell pepper and sauté for six minutes.
- Add the oregano and chili flakes and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the lentils and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the broth, stir effectively, cowl and prepare dinner for five minutes.
- Add the tomatoes (if utilizing contemporary tomatoes, embody any juice left over from chopping; if utilizing canned tomatoes, measure the juice and tomatoes) and salt (elective). Stir effectively and canopy. Prepare dinner for an extra 15 to twenty minutes, till the lentils are simply tender (al dente stage). Drain the surplus liquid.
- Put together the zucchini boats by chopping them in half horizontally. Scoop out the inside flesh of the zucchini, leaving about ½ inch of thickness across the margin of the zucchini (see photograph above). Reserve unused zucchini pulp for smoothies, muffinor soup.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place the zucchini boats, empty aspect up, on a 9×13 inch baking dish with ¼ inch of water added to the underside.
- Fill every zucchini shell with the Italian Lentil Filling, mounding and rounding it into every shell. Reserve the leftover filling to get pleasure from as a aspect dish or in a cereal bowl.
- Cowl with foil and bake the stuffed zucchini boats within the oven at 350 F for 40 to 45 minutes, till the zucchini are tender however agency.
- Whereas the zucchini boats are baking, make pesto by putting basil, garlic, dietary yeast, pistachios, and lemon juice in a meals processor or small blender. Course of the pesto, steadily including olive oil, till clean and creamy. You’ll have to cease and scrape the perimeters as you course of. Put aside.
- Take away the zucchini boats from the oven. Drain any extra water from baking or switch the zucchini boats to a platter or 4 particular person plates. Pour pesto over every zucchini boat, dividing it evenly between every zucchini boat. Sprinkle ½ tablespoon vegan Parmesan over every zucchini boat (elective).
- Serve instantly. Makes 4 servings (1 jar of zucchini per serving).
Choose zucchini which can be about 7 inches lengthy and three inches in diameter for greatest outcomes. In case your zucchini are too small, the zucchini boats will likely be smaller and you’ll have leftover filling and pesto. Alternatively, you may select three smaller zucchini for this recipe, dividing the substances between three zucchini.
- Class: American
- Kitchen: Entrance
- Portion measurement: 1 serving
- Energy: 359
- Sugar: 7 grams
- Sodium: 102mg
- Fats: 14 grams
- Saturated fats: 2 grams
- Carbohydrates: 44 grams
- Fiber: 10 grams
- Protein: 18 grams
Key phrases: zucchini boats, vegetarian zucchini boats,
For different zucchini recipes, try:
Straightforward Zucchini and Tomato Sandwich
Chocolate and Zucchini Muffins
Do-it-yourself Candy Potato Fries with Zucchini
Vegan Lasagna with Zucchini Noodles and Walnuts
Zucchini, carrot and spice muffins
This submit could include affiliate hyperlinks. For extra data click on right here.