I like the retro and classic culinary development of crimson velvet muffins, however I do not actually like the concept of utilizing synthetic colours in my recipes. So, I appeared to Mom Nature to provide my cocoa-kissed, plant-based, vegan crimson velvet cake a ruby hue, and stumbled upon good old school beets! In case you’ve ever cooked with beets, you know the way highly effective that deep ruby pure coloration is! Nevertheless, on this Vegan Beet Pink Velvet Cake, you’ll by no means guess that it has beetroot puree (I’ve served it at events and nobody guessed!). Actually, these pureed beets add a naturally candy, creamy, and velvety contact to this vegan chocolate cake.
What’s a crimson velvet cake?
It’s historically a cocoa-based velvety chocolate cake. What makes crimson velvet cake crimson? For many years, it has been the crimson meals coloring. Extra not too long ago, this meals coloring has been linked to well being issues, so I like to recommend utilizing pure meals coloring from crops (turmeric for yellow, kale for inexperienced, for instance). Is crimson velvet cake chocolate cake? Sure, it’s largely based mostly on cocoa powder, which is created from cocoa beans, however crimson coloring is normally added to it to provide it a deeper ruby coloration.
Beets are wealthy in particular antioxidant compounds linked to well being advantages. Not solely is that this crimson velvet cake recipe freed from synthetic colours, it is gentle in sugar, dairy and egg free, and contains chia seeds, flax seeds, almond flour, and darkish chocolate (cocoa powder). You may make this gluten-free crimson velvet cake by swapping the wheat flour for a gluten-free flour, corresponding to sorghum or quinoa flour.
Principally, it is a dessert which you could really feel nice about. You possibly can high the cake with berries and mint leaves for a particular contact (you possibly can substitute a seasonal berry when strawberries and raspberries aren’t in season, like pomegranate seeds or blueberries), and this “cheese Do-it-yourself vegan cream. the frosting additionally brightens up this simple dessert. Strive making it like cupcakes for a enjoyable different.
This all-natural vegan beetroot crimson velvet cake is gentle on added sugars and will get its ruby hue from pureed beets! It’s a scrumptious and delightful dessert which you could really feel excellent about!
crimson velvet cake:
Pink “cream cheese” frosting:
- 1 cup contemporary berries (ie strawberries, raspberries, pomegranate seeds)
- 2 ounces vegan darkish chocolate barcoarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves
- Trim the ends of the beetroot, scrub the skin with a vegetable brush (don’t peel), and reduce into quarters. Place in small pot, cowl with water and a lid, and cook dinner over medium warmth till tender (about 20-25 minutes). Drain the liquid and reserve. Refrigerate cooked beets till chilly.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- in a giant blender container, place cooked beets, 2 tablespoons of the reserved beet cooking liquid, non-dairy milk, oil, chia seeds, flax seeds, and vanilla and course of till very clean and creamy. You possibly can cease to scrape down the edges.
- Add sugar, flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt (non-compulsory) to blender and course of till blended and clean.
- spray a 8 x 12-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and pour batter into skillet, spreading evenly with spatula. Place within the oven on the center rack and bake for about 25-Half-hour, till a toothpick inserted within the heart comes out clear. Take away the cake from the oven and permit it to chill fully.
- Whereas the cake is baking, make a pink “cream cheese” frosting. Place the uncooked cashews on a plate and canopy with boiling water, allow them to soak for quarter-hour. Drain the soaking water, and add the soaked uncooked cashews to the bowl of a blender, together with the vanilla, lemon juice, powdered sugar, and 1 tablespoon of the reserved beetroot liquid. Puree the combination and add sufficient extra beetroot liquid to make a clean, creamy glaze.
- When the cake cools, unfold a layer of frosting and high with berries, darkish chocolate, and mint leaves, as desired.
- Minimize into 12 parts and revel in! Cowl and refrigerate the cake for as much as per week.
Make this recipe gluten-free by swapping the wheat flour for gluten-free flour.
It may be baked into cupcakes utilizing cupcake liners or sprayed right into a muffin pan.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Time to cook dinner: 25 minutes
- Class: Dessert
- Kitchen: American
- Portion measurement: 1 serving
- Energy: 363
- Sugar: 24g
- Sodium: 27 grams
- Fats: 19g
- Saturated fats: 2 grams
- Carbohydrates: 46 grams
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 6 grams
Key phrases: crimson velvet cake, finest vegan crimson velvet cake, vegan crimson velvet cake
For different plant-based dessert recipes, attempt a few of these:
Tollhouse Bread Biscuits
Coconut, cherry and pistachio crisp
Apple and Cinnamon Crumble
summer time fruit cobbler
Grilled Peaches with Basil
Quince and apple compote
Darkish Chocolate Brownies with Roses and Pomegranates
Vegan Basil Lemon Butter Cookies
Be taught extra concerning the well being advantages of darkish chocolate in The Plant-Fed Dietitian.
This put up might comprise affiliate hyperlinks. For extra info, click on right here.