All of the gooey goodness of summertime s’mores baked right into a chewy buttery s’mores cookie bar. Vegan, nut-free, and made with a intelligent gluten-free graham cracker sub!
SPONSORED BY SUNBUTTER
I’m scripting this from a sun-flooded balcony with essentially the most vibrant turquoise view of the gulf on my second to final day in Cancun, and whereas my honeymoon may be virtually over this warmth is a powerful reminder that summer time is totally right here to remain some time. Summer time is my favourite season for sweets—I thrive on no-bake bars and new ice cream recipes. And whereas there aren’t many candy treats I need to use extra warmth to make in the summertime months, there may be one gooey chocolatey one that’s all the time value it…S’MORES.
The Final Indoor S’mores
I don’t find out about you, however personally, I discover there are numerous extra events the place I’m craving s’extra’s versus events the place a bonfire or campfire is available. Enter: the S’mores Cookie Bar!
The “Graham Cracker” Cookie Bar
These marshmallow-filled chocolate chip blondie bars are vegan, gluten-free, and nut free. Made with only a handful of simple elements, a “buttery” wealthy cookie dough, and baked in lower than half-hour. Scrumptious elements you have to:
- Pure SunButter. The important thing to a brilliant moist and buttery cookie texture with out butter (or nuts!), and this taste simply so occurs to be my favourite. It’s evenly sweetened, evenly salted, and for a salty-sweet cookie bar recipe like this it’s the right selection to make use of. The SunButter additionally provides sufficient richness that we don’t want any added oil within the recipe, particularly together with…
- Unsweetened applesauce. The one different moist ingredient within the cookie batter, and likewise a more healthy oil/butter swap. Further moisture, additional sweetness, however it’s a fairly small quantity so the cookie texture gained’t be gummy or bizarre like low-fat applesauce recipes can generally be.
- Coconut sugar. Or brown sugar will likely be fantastic right here too.
- Cane sugar. Or white sugar will likely be fantastic right here too. Even use all coconut sugar if you need, however the cookie bars could end up slightly bit additional gooey and never have that very same excellent cookie crumble.
- Oat flour. Oat flour has the right healthful cookie style and and texture for this recipe, and it’s naturally gluten-free as properly. I made my very own by grinding old style oats to a really fantastic consistency in my Vitamix.
- Granola. My favourite sneaky secret to create a “graham cracker” like taste with out having to seek out gluten-free graham crackers. My favourite is linked within the recipe card, however simply go together with a impartial flavored barely cinnamon selection ideally. Grind the granola up in a meals processor or blender similar to you’ll to create graham cracker crumbs and stir them proper into the batter.
- Salt, baking powder, and vanilla extract. You would even add in an additional sprint of cinnamon, particularly in case your granola doesn’t have any, for additional “graham” taste.
Now Let’s Add The S’mores Stuff
That is the enjoyable half! That is the place we go from YUMMY cookie bar to GOOEY summer time cookout candy deal with…
- Chocolate chips. Semi-sweet melts finest, darkish chocolate chips will likely be fantastic too. Use a dairy-free selection to maintain the recipe vegan, and I choose full-size chips to mini right here (chunks can be yummy too!)
- Mini marshmallows. Vegan if desired. You may swap in marshmallow fluff in the event you choose, however personally I believe precise marshmallows brown higher in that basic campfire approach.
The meeting is fairly easy: layer many of the cookie dough on the underside, add a thick layer of chocolate chips and marshmallows, patchwork the remaining cookie dough on high overlaying among the mix-ins however leaving some poking by means of. The toughest half is ready for them to chill, as a result of belief me these gooey chips and golden mallows will likely be calling to you. However they are surely a large number in the event you attempt to slice them heat. The gooiest expertise will likely be nonetheless barely heat from the oven, however I promise they’re actually scrumptious cooled and even chilled too!
Extra Summer time Desserts You’ll Love
All of the gooey goodness of summertime s’mores baked right into a chewy buttery cookie bar. Vegan, nut-free, and made with a intelligent gluten-free graham cracker sub!
- 1/4 cup (60g) unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup (192g) Pure SunButter
- 1/2 cup (75g) coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) cane sugar (can sub extra coconut sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (50g) oat flour
- 1 cup (80g) granola*
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (150g) dairy-free chocolate chips
- 3 cups (120g) mini marshmallows (vegan if desired)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8″ pan with parchment paper and/or grease with nonstick spray.
- With a hand mixer, beat collectively the applesauce, SunButter, coconut sugar, and cane sugar.
- Add the vanilla and blend once more till properly mixed.
- In a blender, grind the granola to a fantastic crumb.
- Add the granola crumbs, flour, baking powder, and salt to the moist elements. Proceed mixing with the hand mixer till properly mixed right into a sticky thick cookie dough.
- Press 2/3 of this combination into the underside of the baking pan. Put aside the remaining.
- Evenly unfold the mini marshmallows and chocolate chips on high of the cookie layer.
- High with the remaining cookie dough overlaying as a lot of the floor as doable (a number of marshmallows and chocolate chips will nonetheless present by means of, that’s fantastic).
- Bake for 25-28 minutes at 350°F till the marshmallows are golden brown on high and the cookie is barely browned as properly.
- Cool fully earlier than eradicating from the pan and slicing into 16 squares.
*In case your granola doesn’t comprise any cinnamon, add 1/4 tsp for extra of a “graham cracker” like taste.
Key phrases: gluten free, summer time, chocolate, blondie, baking, wholesome, dairy free, marshmallow